Your Summer Questions Answered


Family walking on footpath


What should you do if you see dangerous or unwanted wildlife in your neighbourhood? Who do you call if you see dumped rubbish in the street? And whose responsibility is it to maintain the grass on nature strips and vacant lots? Here are your most common questions answered.

Pests & Wildlife

City of Whittlesea provides some tips for how to manage pests and wildlife on their website.

If you see snakes in your area, call DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment) on 136 186.

Hard Rubbish

You can book a twice yearly free collection of your hard rubbish via City of Whittlesea. To find out more go to their official website.

If you see rubbish that has been illegally dumped in your neighbourhood, you can report it to the City of Whittlesea on their website.

Nature Strips & Vacant Lots

Overgrown lawns are not only unsightly, they can provide a dangerous hiding spot for snakes. It is your responsibility to maintain your lawns (including nature strips), even if your block is unoccupied.

Your nature strip cannot grow to more than 30 centimetres high or you may be subject to a fine. You can find out more information at the City of Whittlesea website.

It is the owner’s responsibility to mow and maintain the grass on their vacant lots. To report a vacant lot that is not being maintained, call City of Whittlesea on 9217 2170 or email them at [email protected].