Parks and Recreation
Getting Fit in Atherstone
There are lots of ways you can get active and healthy without even leaving Atherstone thanks to the brand new $11.3 million Bridge Road Sports Precinct, the bushy Toolern Creek and the many walking trails around the community. You might just meet some new friends from around the neighbourhood as well.
The Bridge Road Sports Precinct athletics track is free and open daily to the Atherstone community. Or go wild doing a bushwalk along the greenery of Toolern Creek.
Join the Melton Mustangs Hockey Club - Find out more
This well established club has been around since 1976 and has over 230 members. There are multiple opportunities to join the club for a game or training:
- Monday from 8pm: Masters Hockey
- Tuesday & Thursday 5.30pm – 9pm: Club training
- Friday from 6pm: Club Youth Hockey matches U14, U16, U18
- Saturday from 8.30am: Club Hockey matches
If you’re just spectating, come warm up at the canteen which is open from 5.30pm Tuesdays, Thursdays and Friday nights. On Saturday mornings from 8.30am you can come and grab a barista style coffee and hot and cold food. We hear the egg and bacon rolls are already a favourite! The MHC canteen has also been a part of the Healthy Eating In The West initiative and awarded for it's healthy eating policies.
Start Running with the Melton City Runners - Find out more
This locally based MCR is a recreational running group. It is free and open to everyone. They offer three weekly runs:
- Tuesday 7pm: 6km or 10km loop from Woodgrove Shopping Centre (on High Street in front of Coles). These runs are at a social pace and are supported by run leaders to ensure that no one is left behind.
- Wednesday 7pm: Track based interval sessions at Bridge Road Sports Precinct. These sessions are facilitated by Athletics Australia accredited coaches and are tailored to runners of all ages and abilities. Atherstone residents are also welcome to come and walk the track for a bit of gentle exercise.
- Thursday 7pm: Various trails around Melton.
In the future MCR also hopes to introduce a regular weekend long run, beginner friendly sessions for new runners and a senior athletics club based at Bridge Road Sports Precinct.
Test Your Times at Toolern Creek Parkrun - Find out more
Every Saturday at 8am join other competitive spirits for a timed 5 kilometre run out of Toolern Creek Park on Bridge Road. This is a free community event but you do need to register beforehand so you can be provided a barcode which is used to help record your time.
The entire run is on concrete paths and there are roughly about 70 runners in an average event who complete the course in a little over 34 minutes.
Every week runners are invited to join in for coffee and a post exercise chat.
Get Your Groove On At Zumba - Find out more
The Latin inspired fitness dance classes that have been taking over the world have arrived in Atherstone. Do aerobic exercise, strengthen your core, work those muscles and improve your balance while having fun moving to music and laughing with your friends.
Classes are held every Monday from 6.30pm to 7.30pm at Bridge Road Children’s & Community Centre.
260-266 Bridge Rd, Melton South or call Porsche on 0420 728 719.