Family and Community Place creates a village for families in Yarrabilba
The saying ‘it takes a village to raise a child’ is the spirit Family and Community Place embodies each and every day, opening their doors to the Yarrabilba community to ensure families feel supported, understood and empowered on their parenting journey.
For more than 4 years, Family and Community Place in Yarrabilba has created a welcoming, vibrant hub for local parents, offering activities and services that support the growth and development of children and families.
Family and Community Place Manager Michelle Wallace said as Yarrabilba grows, the centre grows too, welcoming and supporting hundreds of families.
“Family and Community Place is an integrated family hub that is located in the heart of Yarrabilba. We offer a no-cost, welcoming place for families to spend time with their children, have fun, build relationships with other local families and connect to a range of health and educational services – all in one convenient location,” said Michelle.
“We have a range of services on offer that are all free of charge, including daily playgroups, immunisation clinic, consultations with a child health nurse, mental health counselling and support for parents to transition back into the workforce.
“Family and Community Place is open Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm and we welcome anyone to come down and check us out.”
Yarrabilba resident Nardia said she has been visiting Family and Community Place with her children for three years, utilising the range of services, programs and child-friendly facilities.
“I come to the playgroups and they are really good and casual, you meet lots of people with children of the same age. It’s really good to interact with them and ask what milestones their children are up to,” she said.
“There are also sessions for older children which are a lot of fun and really interactive. They also give you lots of ideas and activities you can do at home.”
Local Yarrabilba mum, Camilla has found a connected community at Family and Community Place, with her children enjoying the relaxed playgroup sessions.
“My children and I first came to the playgroups but we also come for the immunisations, rather than having to make an appointment at the doctor. It’s so convenient, I can just pop in and get their health checks done. It’s lovely to come here and bump into other parents you know and for the kids to meet and play with other children their age before they start school.”
Family and Community Place, located at 3 Darnell Street, Yarrabilba, in a purpose-built community hub focussed on supporting the growth and development of the thriving Yarrabilba and Logan Rivers community.
The hub provides:
- A welcoming place where children and families feel comfortable and are supported in every stage of their parenting journey
- A community space, where cohesive relationships and togetherness are nurtured, and strong community connections are formed
- Fun and flexible health, educational and social services that support growth and development of children and families
Family and Community Place is a cross-agency initiative delivered in collaboration by local and state government, non-government and private service providers. Children’s Health Queensland provides onsite coordination and of programs and services designed to meet the health, education and social support needs of the emerging community.
Programs on offer:
- Baby playgroup for babies’ birth to 12 months
- KindyLinQ playgroup for 3-year old’s
- First 5 Forever playgroups for children birth to 5 years
- Specialist playgroups for children with disabilities
- Child Health Nurse – drop-in clinics and booked appointments
- Immunisation clinic
- Young Parents’ Program
- Financial counselling
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Consultant
- Art Recovery Program: group mental health support
- Parents Next: re-enter the workforce after parenting
- Dad’s social group
- Cooking Classes
- Community Craft group
Other services include:
- JP Service
- Child Development Service: multidisciplinary team
- Antenatal Midwife Care (Logan and Beaudesert Hospitals)
- Perinatal Wellbeing Service
- Newborn Hearing Screening
- Book Exchange
- Breakfast Club
To learn more about Family and Community Place and the services and programs on offer visit: Family and Community Place | Yarrabilba QLD | Facebook