Living in Elliot Springs
Sustainability and Environment
At Elliot Springs, we’ll be taking our cues from nature and ‘keeping it green’.
Elliot Springs has achieved a 5 Star Green Star – Communities rating from the Green Building Council of Australia by demonstrating our commitment to best practice for urban and environmental design.
The variety of large open spaces and creek corridors offers a sense of relief from the typical urban lifestyle. Our water sensitive urban design and land rehabilitation programs are however just the beginning. We are now exploring a range of innovative technologies to reduce our footprint and further integrate the community with natural settings.
Some sustainable initiatives being undertaken at Elliot Springs include:
- Designating Core Conservation Areas and educational signage for the protection and rehabilitation of Black-Throated Finch
- Regular water quality monitoring testing
- Drought proof planting
- Reuse of recycled materials including topsoils and site materials
- Natural shade opportunities and select planting styles
- Energy saving lighting
- SMART Bins
- SMART Irrigation Systems
- SMART Community Facilities
- SMART Water Meter and Monitoring Systems
- Weed management.
Tips for Your Home
Working in partnership with builders and Townsville City Council, we are dedicated to creating the community of tomorrow and are always ready to give advice on how you can have a sustainable home.
Simply orienting your home correctly with the sun axis and maximising the Elliot Springs breeze can substantially slash your household running costs. It’s also important to consider energy saving appliances and sustainable energy systems such as solar and battery storage.
The Queensland government also offers a low interest loan scheme and rebate for home solar and battery systems. Find out more.
If you are interested in finding out what you can do to build a more efficient and sustainable home, read our Building Smart guide which features six smart ideas to consider when building. Find out more.
Approved Management Plans
For more information on what environmental management plans Elliot Springs has in place, download the following documents:
- Construction Environmental Management Plan
- Core Conservation Area Management Plan
- Offset Management Plan
- Ecological Study Plan
- Precinct 1: Integrated Water Management Plan
- Water Quality Monitoring Plan
Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act Compliance Reports
For more information on how Elliot Springs is compliant with the EPBC Act, download the following reports:
- Elliot Springs EPBC Act Annual Compliance Report 2018
- Elliot Springs EPBC Act Annual Compliance Report 2019
- Elliot Springs EPBC Act Finalisation of Condition 6 Ecology Study Plan
Water Quality Monitoring Reports
For more information on water quality monitoring at Elliot Springs, download the following reports:
- 2017 Water Quality Monitoring - complied monthly reports
- 2018 Water Quality Monitoring - complied monthly reports
- 2019 Water Quality Monitoring - complied monthly reports
- 2020 Water Quality Monitoring - January to March monthly reports
- 2020 Water Quality Monitoring - January to June monthly reports